We are very proud to announce that we will be hosting a Professional Development opportunity for any interested Middle/ High School Language Arts/ English teachers, Reading/ Writing/ Media Specialists, and/or administrators on November 8, 2016 from 9am-2pm at Trumbull High School in Trumbull, CT.
CLICK HERE FOR OUR FLYER: thsreadrev-consortium-flyer
The goal of this unique opportunity is to engage participants in professional development on the benefits of Independent Reading, and to offer instruction on how to effectively implement this proven program.
Our program was initially inspired by Mamaroneck High School’s presentation at the 2014 NCTE National Convention. It highlighted their Independent Reading program which is modeled after Penny Kittle’s Book Love.
We culled strategies from various resources using research and our experiences to design our current program. The THS Reading (R)evolution is successful because it establishes a culture that supports reader choice, daily reading time in class, and accountability.
Here is what the day will look like:
- 8:30-9:00 – Arrival and Registration
- 9:00-10:45 – Session 1 – Presentation: How to Jump Start Independent Reading in Your Classroom
- 10:50-11:50 – Session 2 – Round Table Discussion: Embedding Independent Reading into Your Current Curriculum
- 12:00-12:50 – Lunch Round Table with students, administrators and faculty members who are currently participating in the program or implementing it in their classrooms and district.
- 1:00-2:00 – Session 3 – Individualized Sessions based on need and interest. Topics could include: Acquisition of Classroom Libraries, Assessments, Professional Resources, Daily Organization (Reading Rates, Reading Logs, Book Talks)
During this Professional Development, you will receive:
- Independent Reading Starter Kit
- Link to the Online Presentation
- Classroom Library Recommended Title List
- Professional Relationships and Support Network
- To register online click here: https://goo.gl/forms/wmJF110351w8izOk1
- Cost of the event is $5 before 11/1 and $8 after.
- Day of Registration will be accepted
- Checks ONLY – made out to: Trumbull High School
- First 20 Registrants will be entered into a raffle. The raffle winner will be given 10 books for their Classroom Library.
If you have questions you can email us (THSReadRev@gmail.com) or DM us on Twitter (@THSReadRev).
Let’s start and sustain a professional conversation about the nature of reading in our classrooms!